magic

"Patchouli, I need you to tell me how magic works." "The way you say that, Reimu, one might confuse you with that thieving ordinary witch girl." "Well... I'm sorry about all that, but..." "Why do you want to know, anyway? Planning to become a witch too?" "I figured, you know, since I'm the Hakurei shrine maiden and all, even with 「spiritual power」 and other weapons, it would be good to understand magic when I face it in battle, right? I've little interesting in learning how to use it myself, after Makai, anyway." "So if I tell you, you'll be able to beat me?" /Well, I already can.../ Reimu thought. "But no matter. I don't mind, so please stand over there." Patchouli directed. She then called to her assistant, "Koakuma, please find... let's try 「The Color of Magic」 by the Warlock Pratchett." "Color?" "That's right. I figure this is the best place to start if you're concerned with enemy magic-users. Magics are divided into 「colors」 by the source of their user's power. Normally, a magic-user wouldn't want to put their 「color」 on display unless they are extremely confident in their abilities. To another user, it's like showing off how you hold your weapon and your fighting style: it's either a boast that you can beat them without tricks or just /very stupid/." "I see... so, then, the puppeteer, Alice?" "The 「Seven-Colored Puppeteer」, yes. Her title suggests that she can use all seven colors of magic. A magician who can do so is very powerful, indeed. It's a warning to other capable magic-users." "That... I think I get it. What about Marisa? She calls one of her moves 「Love-Colored Master Spark」. Does that mean it's... 「powered」 by love?" "That's correct. Ms. Kirisame may be on the 「foolish」 side with that naming, but it implies that the color of her magic is primarily 「Love」." "Hm... so there are six other colors, then." "Right. Ah, thank you, Koakuma," Patchouli nodded, while taking an aged tome from her devil assistant. "In fact, what you identified as 「Spiritual Power」 is another." ...